Thursday, February 10, 2011

O Happy Day!

Have you ever been dreading something & thought, "Surely the anticipation of this thing is far worse than the actual thing will be." I think that is often true for me; I am a worrier/fretter of Olympic ability. However, the opposite may be true for me today. Today, I am a very happy girl; I am anticipating some things that should be fun & relaxing. They may end up being less fun & less relaxing than I anticipate, but that's all right. I don't believe in disappointment. And since I don't believe in it, it doesn't exist. Right?
I knew you would agree with me.
Anyway, there are several reasons I am really in a bright mood today. It's not that I got a full eight hours of sleep or that I came into some money (but wouldn't all that be FUN?!). Actually, you might find my reasons kind of mundane or big no-brainers, but I'm sharing them anyway!
#1: I got up with Mike this morning & stayed up. I finished a Bible study lesson I've been doing about experiencing the love of Jesus. What a blessing! I was reminded of several important truths: the Lord is on my side (if God be for us, who can be against us?), the Lord loves me so much He let His Son die for my sin, He did not save me to live a life of worry or fretting, & His love for me is unconditional & I can never be separated from it.
Wowzas.
That kind of truth can really change a girl's attitude, if you know what I mean.
#2: I woke up this morning. Yep, I'm plain old grateful to God that I have another day. I'm still upright & breathing. This is nothing to take for granted.
#3: Today is my Friday. Back at the beginning of January Mike & I picked a random Friday to take off from work for a little Winter Break. That random Friday is tomorrow! I have all sorts of ideas running around in my head about what we can do & what we won't have to do (because we aren't at work!) & where we can go & how long we can sleep! I am expecting great, good times!
#4: I get to visit with the G's today. My grandparents have been having a hard time lately. My g-ma has a fractured vertebra & is not a good candidate for surgery to fix it. My g-pa also has some back pain thing going on. I have been setting aside some time on Thursdays to go visit with them & help them get some chores done. Last week I missed out because of the Icezilla that came through town so I'm very much looking forward to today. Really all I do is chat with them & make up their bed. Thursday is laundry day so I get to put warm April fresh sheets on their bed, help g-ma fold kitchen towels, & put clothes away. It's one of the highlights of my week. It takes me back to the days when my mom when back to work & we spent our out of school hours at the G's house. My g-ma taught me so much about taking care of a home during those times. Now I can't wait to hug my g-ma!
#5: It's been a somewhat busy work day. The one project that kind of got thrown to me that I didn't know how to handle was kind of handled for me. I love it when God works things out that way. I was sitting at my desk staring at it, I asked my boss a question, & he took it from there. He is a good guy.
#6: The sun is shining today. Bright & full & wonderful! It may only be 14 degrees right now, but that's ok. They are predicting highs in the 40's & 50's over the next week. It makes me almost giddy with excitement! Maybe, just maybe I'll be able to run outside sometime next week!
#7: My sister told me last night that she has been sleeping really well. This has been a struggle for her for quite some time now. When you don't sleep well for an extended period of time it begins to show up all over your face & mind & body. We need sleep. We need good quality sleep. And we need a good quantity of sleep. That is what Beth has been able to get lately. This makes me very happy. And very, very grateful.
#8: My nephew asked me for my email address last night because he had something he wanted to send me. I cannot explain to you why, but that just thrilled me. When he was little it was easy to impress him & see that he liked spending time with me. As he gets older it's obvious & natural that he makes friends & likes spending time with them. It just made me smile a little bit to know that he still thinks of Aunt MeeMee. His sister Madison was not to be outdone. She told me that her teacher (whom I have never met) loves to read my facebook page because she thinks I am a very funny writer. I have no idea what she was trying to say or what she could have been talking about but it was funny!
#9: I just had a really good (although odd) lunch - leftover pasta, vanilla yogurt, & raisins. A weird, yet satisfying combo!
#10: I only have to run two miles today & I'm deep enough into my training that it is beginning to feel good, not exhausting. I have actually followed the directions for some speed training lately & that has made it more fun than ever. Treadmills are great for timing yourself & pushing yourself a little bit harder. I hear that they are also good for hills. I don't do hills. The Indy Mini is a basically flat course so I don't need hills. Right?
And for one last smiley thought, I'm happy because I found this pic online:

There is just something hilarious to me about the Disney princesses posing for a silly picture. Maybe it's just me, but I laughed right out loud - especially at Snow White, hello nose!
What is making you happy or making you laugh today?

2 comments:

Beth said...

That picture is SO great! hilarious! I think it's awesome that your "winter break" is tomorrow. Enjoy!

Mary Ann said...

Thanks, Beth! We did enjoy our Winter Break. Very relaxing & just what we needed :-)