Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kitchen Experiments

I tend to get bored easily. I don't know why. I just have a restless kind of spirit I guess.
That's part of the reason why I am continually looking for new recipes. I have a stash of clippings & print outs that would amaze you. It's a mess. I need to stop but I just can't help myself!
You all know that we had a Tasting Party at our church Friday night. It was a smorgasbord of new & different by way of the crock pot & salad. Yum-o. Here's a pic of my contribution:


















I got everything in the crock & happily cooking when I decided that I would embrace the mess that was already my kitchen & try another recipe. I had found a recipe for Orange Cranberry Bran Muffins on my cereal box. I had all the ingredients so why not? Every house could use a little happy muffin action, don't you think?


















They are quite yummy. They are a little tart; I think I may have overdone the orange zest. I don't get to use my microplane very often so I just went crazy. Forgive my compulsiveness.

Here's the recipe if you're curious:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3 cups All-Bran wheat flakes cereal
1 1/4 cups orange juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2/3 cup craisins
1 teaspoon orange zest

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, & baking powder. Set aside. In large bowl, combine cereal, orange juice, oil, & egg. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in craisins & orange zest. Add dry ingredients to cereal mixture. Stir until combined. Portion batter evenly into muffin tin coated with cooking spray. Bake for 15-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. Serve warm.

I think the muffins are super good with a little butter & honey. I think if I make them again I will run the cereal through the food processor & I will chop the craisins up a bit.

As my mom says, experiments are a lot more fun when you actually like what you make. I've had some fun this weekend with my little experiments!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those muffins look delish! Muffins are my favorite to whip up since they bake up so quickly and you can usually isolate the mess to just one bowl. How'd the lentils turn out?