Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Progress?

As far as Christmas decorating goes, we don't have much done.
But at least we have one of the trees up.
Yes, you read that right. I said, "one" of the Christmas trees have been put up.
That would mean that yes, we do put up more than one Christmas tree.
Are you wondering how we can possibly fit more than one Christmas tree in a one bedroom house?
It's easy. At least it's easy when one tree is of the slimline, space-saving variety like this one:

It's our refrigerator tree! My mom always gives us a little bag of Christmas themed goodies on the day after Thanksgiving (after a group of about 15 of us shop for 8-10 hours; we are a CRAZY family!). This year her little goodie bag contained this wonderful magnetic tree. It's actually an advent calendar & you are supposed to put up one ornament every day until Christmas. Rule breaker that I am, I just couldn't wait! Had to decorate that tree up right from the beginning! One of these days I'll tell you what it's like to be me, dancing on the edge out here & being such a risk taker...
So as far as Christmas decorating our house, we have a ways to go. Right now our real Christmas tree is buried in a corner of the basement beside Mike's "workshop". It's buried under at least an inch of sawdust. Hopefully by the end of the week we will have it dusted off & shining in all of it's pre-lit white light glory!

However, I can report real progress in the hand made Christmas gift category. I'm not sure when I started this project but I don't think it's been much more than a year ago...it's been a doozy! It was very detailed & just a little bit difficult. But I finished it last night & that means it will actually be given this Christmas as planned!
I still need to decide about matting & framing. This is actually going to be a gift for my dad. I know that sounds a little weird - cross stitch for a man?! - but "Silent Night" is his all time favorite Christmas carol so I'm hoping he will really like this. At least I'm hoping he will pretend that he really likes it!

I had a list as long as my arm of other things I wanted to make for Christmas this year but I'm not sure any of it is going to happen. I have to make a set of corn hole bags for my husband or he is going to bust a gasket. Seriously. It's like he doesn't realize we have a whole 25 days until Christmas...

*I want you to know that "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" is playing on the tv in the other room & just listening to it is making me smile. I could sing every one of those songs by heart...good stuff!

No comments: