Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away!

Training for my half marathon in September has officially begun. Therefore, it's time for the weather to get extremely cantankerous.

I was a little concerned about training for this race all through the hot summer months. I don't have a treadmill. I don't have a gym membership. I don't have the inclination to spend the moola to obtain either. Call me cheap, but I'm thinking that our money could be used better elsewhere. I don't like spending that much just on me.

Anyway, my whole point is that the weather has been downright unruly! Yesterday the high was something like 94 degrees. I waited until nearly 8 p.m. to go on my run & since there was a chance of popcorn storms, I ran at the track. Three miles. Twelve laps. I thought I was gonna lose my mind. I felt like a hamster on a wheel. And man oh man, did I get hot! We are talking sweat in your eyes, clothes soaked through kind of sweat because it was still 90 degrees at 8 p.m.! That being said, I prefer 90 degrees over 30 degrees. I'd rather sweat than shiver!

Today there are more storms threatening. The temperature is at a friendly 79 degrees - perfect for running. However, I once upon a time read an article about people who had survived being struck by lightening. I'm not sure this article was helpful for me. Now whenever I am outside & I hear a crack of thunder I throw my arms up over my head, bend low at the waist, & run for cover screaming like a little girl. Lightening Freaks Me Out.

This afternoon I don't have time to wait around & see if the storms clear up. I'm headed up to Camp Assurance this evening because my sister is the camp nurse this week. Madison is a Camp Kid & Caleb is a Camper. Therefore, today I will be completing my miles inside. Today is an optional cross training day in my training program so you guessed it, I'm going to become a Mall Walker. Just typing that made my cheeks glow with embarrassment. Nothing like walking with the retirees to make a girl feel old. Oh well. I'm grateful we have a little mall nearby that actually has some flights of stairs. I'll be chugging up & down those every lap.

Here's hoping for sunny skies tomorrow!

2 comments:

the johnson crew said...

you are so funny. and inspiring too. i used to run a lot... effortlessly (at least in my memory) and i just can't get back on that horse. i walked/jogged yesterday, and was encouraged all day, but today is a different story.

do you have a program/regiment you would recommend? advice? how did you get started?

keep up the great work!

Carrie said...

I just love your posts; you are such a good writer with a fun sense of humor! :)
I hope the weather clears up for you!!

Here are your 5 questions:

1. How did you and Mike meet?
2. How did you get started with running? Was it hard to get motivated at first?
3. What was your favorite class at NBBC?
4. What's your favorite old movie?
5. If you could travel to anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go?

Thanks for playing along! :)