Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Best Laid Plans...

You know how that saying goes. Friday afternoon/evening did NOT go according to plan. I was supposed to get off work at 3pm. I had to work over until 5:15 (I'm not going to complain about 2 1/4 hours of overtime, though!). I left town at 7:15 rather than 5:30. I had some major attitude struggles b/c of chores I wasn't getting done before I left, but by the time I hit the road Mike had coaxed me into a good mood. I was SUPER sad about leaving him at home; we both were, actually.

I got on the interstate, set the cruise, & set my mind to make the whole trip without stopping. I had plenty of gas, a 20 oz. Diet Mountain Dew, and my ipod. There would be no reason to stop.

Or so I THOUGHT. The Lord had other plans. His plan went into effect almost exactly two hours into my trip.



Yep. I had a blow out. Something that I have always been terrified of. I was going about 72 mph with my cruise set & I was humming along. I had just talked myself out of making a quick stop just to walk around a little. I passed an exit; I didn't note which one. Almost as soon as I drove under the overpass I felt a sensation like I was driving over a rumble strip. I peered down at the interstate & did not see a rumble strip. Commence pounding heartbeat. I tapped the brake gently & began to slow down to pull over. I was so focused on slowing down gradually that I probably drove a quarter of a mile to stop. All I could think of was not to make any sudden moves - no brake slamming! no wheel jerking! no freaking out!

My rear passenger side tire was flat as a pancake & yeah, pretty shredded. What to do? I was two hours from home & a good hour away from my brother's house. In situations like these I kinda really hate being such a girl. I called my brother & he was on the rescue detail immediately. I love that he is so helpful like that. He got on the road within minutes, told me what to do (seat belt on, parking brake on, sit on the passenger side). I really get anxious on the side of the interstate. I mean, no one wants to get clobbered by a semi or something stupid like that. I called Mike & he immediately started kicking himself for sending me on my own. He kept me company while I waited. Thank God for cell phones!

Andy & Dad got there, got the tire changed, & then Andy drove my car the rest of the way. Between the experience & the Mountain Dew I was a little rattled. Saturday morning I had a hot date with Tire Discounters to get four new tires. When I bought my car Andy cautioned me that Toyota didn't put very high quality tires on their new cars & that I would be lucky to put 30,000 miles on them. I knew they were getting bad; I had even checked the wear bars & they were still looking fairly decent. The problem was dry rot in the side walls. I don't know how to check for that issue! I had just crossed the 59,000 mile mark so I guess I really can't complain. It just was not an expense I wanted to face right now - nothing like a $400 surprise bill!

I do have to say that I thank the Lord for keeping me so safe & well cared for. My brother is a very good rescuer & he was not the least bit irritated that he was out until 12:30 in the morning taking care of his baby sister.

I was very, very, very happy to get home on Sunday, though! How was your weekend? Did you have any surprises?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You poor thing! Glad you're seeing God's hand in it all though. And so glad He kept you safe!

Thankfully we had no surprises of that sort this weekend. :) Just some unwelcome rain.

Adele said...

That certainly is an adventure! I'm glad everything got worked out and that you were safe.

Thankfully no adventures for us either - hopefully we can keep it that way. I am extremely thankful that we have not had any problems in the midst of all this driving. We have had to do a lot of repairs, but thankfully not due to a break down.

Karis said...

My big surprise from this last weekend was the realization of how much French I lost from 5 1/2 weeks in the States! Yikes. Time to get immersed again to re-gain it and try to start going farther in French. Too bad I want to lie on the couch all day... :-)