- who will my bridesmaids be? My sister will be my Maid of Honor. And then there are two slots up for grabs. I let Mike determine how many couple would stand up with. I know that I have quite a few friends that I could choose. I have totally underestimated how difficult it is to narrow it down. My Aunt Ruth suggested that I put all of their names in a hat & draw them out ;-)
- what kind of dress do I want? In the brief discussion that we had with Pastor Jeff about him officiating & having the wedding at the church it was mentioned that strapless was out. That is fine by me b/c I am not a lover of strapless. The problem is that 98% of all wedding dresses seem to be strapless or halter tops (which should only ever be worn on the beach, in my opinion). Plus, I am not a big fan of the lace 'sleeves' that they like to attach to modify the dress so that it is no longer truly strapless. I'm just not a fan. And I think I already mentioned in a previous post that I don't like the big full skirts. I wonder if I can go shopping with a list of things that I don't like & be successful in finding a wonderful dress?
- what colors do I want to choose? My favorite color is red. And frankly, that is the only color I ever thought I would use in my wedding. However, Mike does not like red (he assures me he really doesn't care, but I don't want to use a color he doesn't like!). Plus, our church carpet is kind of a teal color. So red just won't do. I really like blue, but I've been in 10 weddings & I wore blue in 6 of them. Because I am crazy, I really don't like the idea of using blue. So I've been thinking, what about a lilac color accented with a light green? I spent some serious time on the David*s Bridal website today trying out that color combo. I like the lilac idea b/c it will look nice in the church. Also, the first roses that Mike ever bought me were lavender. Mike & his brother got me 25 lavender roses for my 25th birthday. Even though we weren't dating then, it's still a super sweet memory for me. I was really surprised & just loved those roses. Let me know what you guys think of that color combo. I was trying super hard to copy & paste a pic of the dresses & the colors but the computer just wouldn't cooperate. I also chose this font color b/c it's kind of lavendar & my blog is green - I didn't want you to assume it was just a happy coincidence ;-)
- What music do I use? How much music do I use? We're going for the short & sweet ceremony version. I think we will just have Mike's sister, Gwen sing. What about a reading of some sort?
And just in case you think I've got nothing decided, here's what I've settled on:
- My wonderful friend Abby is going to do the flowers.
- We have a location & a pastor.
- My Aunt Ruth is going to play her flute.
- Joyce is going to play the piano.
- I have an appointment to dress shop this Saturday with my sister & my mom.
- My parent's & I have had the "this is how much we're willing to kick in" conversation. They are being much more generous than I had thought possible.
- I know that I'm going for a semi-formal vibe. Early afternoon, knee length bridesmaid dresses, suits vs. tuxes.
And that's about it. Gotta keep scheming! In between jobs today I'm making a quick stop to buy a planner - gotta have a home for my massive to-do lists!