Thursday, August 7, 2008

Velvet Ants


I mentioned in a post a long time ago that we have cicada killers here at my work place. This year I've noticed a new neighbor. It's this little lovely here - the Velvet Ant. When I first saw one I was more than a little disconcerted. The thing was a good 3/4 of an inch long & moved really fast. So I did a bit of Internet research & identified it as a Velvet Ant. The website www.whatsthatbug.com is very helpful, by the way. I learned that these critters are actually flightless wasps that can deliver a very painful sting when provoked. Reputedly the sting is so painful that it can kill a cow so another name for them is Cow Killers. Ugh. Kinda makes me want to stay inside!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

First Cicada Killers, now Cow Killers? It seems like People Killers would be the next logical step. It must be all the nuclear stuff.