Monday, January 21, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

I've been trying to decide for quite a while now whether I would like to once again rent an apartment, find a condo, or buy a house. I have prayed & waited & saved. The housing market here is definitely in favor of the buyer right now but I had fairly certainly decided that I did not want the sole responsibility of maintenance for a house & yard. I have to work 2 jobs in order to afford my own place & when you work 51 hours a week you don't really want to spend your leisure time mowing, you know? So I went to a local apartment complex last week & filled out an application for a one bedroom apartment. Then yesterday my uncle's mom called to let me know that their family was going to be selling her brother's house. He has cancer & is in a nursing home & he is unable to keep his home. She knew that I was planning a move sometime soon so she wanted to show me the house. I picked her up & we went for a look. This house is only 2 blocks from my parents in a nice neighborhood. It's small - only one bedroom - but it is older (which I love) with hardwood floors throughout & wide wood trim around the baseboards, windows, & doors. It also has a very clean, very dry basement. Her brother has lived there alone for many years & I was tremendously impressed with how clean the house was. So now I'm waiting for them to work up a price & get back to me. I'm a little confused now about what I want to do. If the price is right, I can hardly pass up the opportunity. Renting an apartment is not the cheapest option but it is the easiest. A house is a definite investment & houses like this little one don't become available very often. I guess I've been blessed with another opportunity to pray & wait on the Lord's guidance.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying with you on this one for sure. How much yard space does it have?

Mary Ann said...

Bekah -
It has a pretty big yard, all to the side of the house. And the house is on the corner.

Erin said...

I'll be praying. Money-wise buying will be better, but understand about the time investment as well.

ruth said...

Ooh, I vote buy the house--if you can get a great deal. Better yet, buy a condo that has an association so all the grounds work is done for you.

Seriously, I'll be praying for wisdom for you. It's a big decision.

Adele said...

Wow! What an exciting time! I'm anxious to see how the Lord leads you in this area. Keep us posted!

Troy & Sherry said...

i think you will love owning a home - finally you can put stuff up on the walls and not worry about getting charged for it :)
you can paint - and it is wonderful that it is so close to your parents - i pray it is a great price :)

Karis said...

What a good perspective -- an opportunity to pray and wait on the Lord's guidance.