Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Good Day To Run!

The training group that I have joined to get ready for the Indy Mini has a group run on Tuesday nights. I have skipped a lot more of these runs than I have attended. I usually run earlier in the afternoon by myself if Autumn has to work late or has decided not to go. This week I decided that I would go to the group run. It's one of the benefits of membership (which wasn't cheap) & I had joined the group with the idea that it would be fun to meet some new people. The problem is, I don't like the idea of running all by myself surrounded by a bunch of people that I supposed would be all grouped up. I got there just in time to pick up my singlet (which unfortunately doesnt' fit quite right, but oh well) & it's so funny how the Lord works things out. I drove into the park right behind my boss's wife. She is in the advanced group but we were able to chat & catch up on the news before the run started. If you couldn't already tell, I hate that feeling of being alone in a crowd so I'm really grateful the Lord worked it out so that Kelly would get there the same time as me.
Today's run was a 5 miler. We got going & I think I really reached a turning point in my running this evening. I didn't time myself (I hardly ever do; it just makes me nervous) but having all of those other runners around me really caused me to push myself. I have this strategy of not starting out in the very front of the pack. I hang back a little bit, pace myself, & then I'm able to start passing some other people instead of being the one who is getting passed. All in all, it was a completely invigorating run & I also was able to learn a new route in my neighborhood that covers a 5 mile distance. This week we're supposed to cover 24 miles, so only 19 to go! And only 25 days until the race! It's going to be so fun...believe it or not, I can't hardly wait!

3 comments:

Adele said...

Okay, it's my turn to plead ignorance. Can you tell me what a singlet is? I would guess, BUT, since this isn't a pop quiz, I won't! :)

Mary Ann said...

Adele -
I wondered at first, too. I mean, I'm no world class runner or anything so I'm learning as I go. A singlet is like a jersey for running. It's made of really light material and it's designed like a tank top. I'll have to model it and post a pic!

Michele said...

mary ann,
you're crazy! It's never a good day to run! As far as I'm concerned, that's like saying it's a good day to die! LOL