Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Inspirational Messages

Considering the times we live in, I understand that the news of the world can be really depressing and sometimes even frightening. As a result, I enjoy the little reminders to "Live well, laugh often, love much" kind of variety - you know, those little hand painted looking wooden signs that people hang up in their homes. For whatever reason it makes me think of simpler times, basic values, etc. Today as I was fixing my first cup of coffee I focused my blurry eyes on the Splenda packet. Lo and behold, what did I see but a little inspirational message from the little yellow packet people. It read, "Inside every packet is a world of happiness." Granted, a good cup of coffee does create it's own kind of joy, but I would hardly call it a world of happiness. Later in the day as I was eating lunch, I cracked open a little box of raisins. What do you think I found on the box flap? That's right - another little inspirational message. This time the advice was, "In every relationship there will be ups and downs." Thank you, Sunmaid Girl. I got to thinking about it and realized that these little quips are everywhere, from my Life Is Good shirt (which has a tag that reads, "Do what you like, like what you do") to my newest pair of khakis that have a tag on the inside of the zipper flap that reads, "You are the architect of your future." Hmmm...pants that try to get you to think about planning your future. Maybe I was shopping in the Junior's department?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My Lipton tea bags say nice little things too. And how about those taco bell hot sauce packets? What a "spiritual" world we live in, eh?